How Important is Maintaining a Fire Sprinkler System for Business?
A fire sprinkler system is essential for commercial buildings. They can reduce property damage up to 67%. It’s not enough to have a fire sprinkler system in your building. You also need to maintain it.
It is important to remember that fire sprinkler maintenance can be done easily. All you need is a little attention and a few calls from a fire protection company.
How to Keep Your Sprinklers In Good Condition
Maintain your equipment regularly
According to NFPA regulations, fire sprinkler systems should be inspected annually, though it’s better to do so at least four times per year. Also, make sure your system is serviced every other year for maximum protection:
- Do any remodeling in your business
- Install or modify a backflow preventer or water meter
- Face changes in public water supply, such as in response to water shortages
- Change the occupancy or use of your building
Take care of your sprinkler by yourself
These inspections won’t be enough to get rid of your sprinklers. However, you can do a lot in the interim to keep them in great shape.
- Never stack anything close to your sprinkler (as a general rule, try to keep items at least 18 inches below it)
- Never paint your sprinkler heads
- Never hang anything from your sprinkler heads
- Always make sure your control valves are in the open position (the NFPA recommends that you check this once a week)
- Always report any signs of damage to your sprinkler to your fire inspection company immediately
Here are the Benefits of Regular Sprinkler Maintenance
Businesses with fire sprinkler systems that work and are tested often receive discounts from insurance companies, typically between 5-10%. The flip side is that insurance companies may impose harsh penalties on businesses that don’t have a sprinkler system or aren’t maintaining them regularly.
Peace of mind
Regular inspections can detect potential problems before they escalate into major problems. You won’t have to wait until your building burns to discover that something is wrong with your sprinkler system.
Freedom from liability
In the event that a fire breaks out in your tips for building, your insurance may not cover you. Numerous businesses have been forced to shut down by the costs of these damages as well as lost productivity.